Become a Leader
There are a few simple steps to becoming a leader:
- Join the Sierra Club.
- Participate on at least five Sierra Club sponsored outings. These may be ICO outings or any other Sierra Club outing. Ask questions. Be observant.
- Obtain current First Aid and CPR certification. The Red Cross offers First Aid classes. The Angeles Chapter also schedules free classes annually for potential and current leaders through the Leadership Training Committee.
- Attend an Angeles Chapter Sierra Club leader training. A one-day leadership training workshop is held twice a year (spring and fall). The Leadership Training Committee has details posted on their website.
- Lead a provisional hike. You simply plan a hike with an experienced certified ICO leader along to evaluate you.
- Submit your paperwork to the Angeles Chapter Safety Committee Chair. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved and receive a patch indicating you are a leader.
- Because ICO leaders work with children, a few extra steps are required to ensure the safety of our trip participants. You will be asked for three references. For details, please contact Nancy Le at email@example.com
- Come to ICO meetings whenever possible. Become one of us. There are lots of people at the meetings who want you to succeed.
Please download these documents:
- Welcome to Angeles ICO [Word doc: 35KB]
- Authorization for background check [Word doc: 31KB]
- Leader Certification Checklist [PDF: 75KB]
Forms for Leaders
Five forms for leaders are available online:
(Print these PDF forms to pass out to participants.)