INSPIRING CONNECTIONS OUTDOORS
(formerly known as INNER CITY OUTINGS)
2014-2015 Internship Program
Los Angeles ICO (Inspiring Connections Outdoors) of the Sierra Club is pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for our 2014-2015 internship program from students currently enrolled in local universities! Applications are due by Wednesday September 10th and should be emailed to the program coordinator at email@example.com. Training will be September 14. Los Angeles ICO is a non-profit organization that leads hiking, camping, and outdoor science trips for underserved K-12 grade classes. We are seeking 4-6 Environmental Science Educator interns for the 2014-2015 school year who are willing to devote 4-7 hours per week to help build upon and implement our outdoor science education program. Applicants should be enrolled in a 4 year university in the Los Angeles area and should have completed at least 9-12 credits in one or multiple of the following areas: ecology, environmental science, chemistry, biology, environmental studies, psychology, or related field.
Interns will work with local teachers and an environmental science PhD student to design and implement 3-day outdoor science field trips, based on the California Science Standards. The internship will provide students with experience in teaching, curriculum design, and program evaluation. Motivated students may also have the opportunity to take part in research examining the effectiveness of outdoor science education on learning outcomes. This position is ideal for self-motivated and independent students interested in applying their science backgrounds and gaining skills in teaching and program evaluation. The internship will help prepare you for graduate school or for careers in non-profits or education. The internships are unpaid.
Download Word .doc Application.
Sierra Club Inspiring Connections Outdoors (formerly known as Inner City Outings) is a community outreach program that provides opportunities for urban youth and adults to explore, enjoy and protect the natural world.
• In 2013, LA ICO led 139 outings for 4,949 children and 862 parents and teachers.
• LA ICO works with 60 different agencies, primarily Title I schools.
• LA ICO is an all-volunteer organization and is responsible for all of its own fundraising.
• LA ICO is one of 49 Inspiring Connections Outdoors groups nationwide that make up the Sierra Club’s national outreach program.
• LA ICO’s volunteer trip leaders receive safety, First Aid, and Sierra Club certified Outings Leader training and must pass a background check.
• LA ICO received the 2009 Associated Administrators of Los Angeles (LAUSD) Community Award and the Angeles Chapter Sierra Club 2008 Certificate of Merit.
A big THANK YOU to the Mark Taper Foundation for a generous $15,000 donation to Angeles ICO! Read about their generosity here.