Info for Leaders
The Inspiring Connections Outdoors program exists because of the merit of our leaders. Two Sierra Club leaders must accompany each Inspiring Connections Outdoors trip. At least one of these leaders must be specially certified as an Inspiring Connections Outdoors leader.
Because requests for outings exceed our capacity, ICO has a continuing need for new leaders. A leader can sign up just to be available to lead or co-lead scheduled hikes, but usually leaders also act as a liaison with a school or agency, staying in touch with the school or agency about when they would like hikes and helping to prepare them for hikes.
Your energy and imagination can help create exciting opportunities for the people ICO serves!
Become a Leader
There are a few simple steps to becoming a leader:
- Join the Sierra Club.
- Participate on at least five Sierra Club sponsored outings. These may be ICO outings or any other Sierra Club outing. Ask questions. Be observant.
- Obtain current First Aid and CPR certification. The Red Cross offers First Aid classes. The Angeles Chapter also schedules free classes annually for potential and current leaders through the Leadership Training Committee.
- Attend an Angeles Chapter Sierra Club leader training. A one-day leadership training workshop is held twice a year (spring and fall). The Leadership Training Committee has details posted on their website.
- Lead a provisional hike. You simply plan a hike with an experienced certified ICO leader along to evaluate you.
- Submit your paperwork to the Angeles Chapter Safety Committee Chair. You will be notified by mail when your application has been approved and receive a patch indicating you are a leader.
- Because ICO leaders work with children, a few extra steps are required to ensure the safety of our trip participants. You will be asked for three references and a background check.. For details, please contact Nancy Le at email@example.com
- Come to ICO meetings whenever possible. Become one of us. There are lots of people at the meetings who want you to succeed.
Please download these documents:
- Welcome to Angeles ICO [Word doc: 35KB]
- Authorization for background check [Word doc: 31KB]
- Leader Certification Checklist [PDF: 75KB]
[Photo credit: Vicente Baldwin]