Info for Leaders
Because requests for outings exceed our capacity, ICO has a continuing need for new leaders. A leader can sign up just to be available to lead or co-lead scheduled hikes, but usually leaders also act as a liaison with a school or agency, staying in touch with the school or agency about when they would like hikes and helping to prepare them for hikes.
Your energy and imagination can help create exciting opportunities for the people ICO serves!
Become a Leader
There are a few simple steps to becoming a leader:
- Join the Sierra Club.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Complete the following: Sierra Club Outings Volunteer Agreement, ICO Volunteer Application, and ICO Code of Ethics.
- Pass a Criminal Back ground Check and a Ca DMV Driver License check. Cost paid for by ICO.
- Attend a monthly ICO General Metting preferably before proceeding with ICO-specific certifications.
- Participate on at least five Sierra Club sponsored outings. These may be ICO outings or any other Sierra Club outing. Ask questions. Be observant.
- Obtain current First Aid and CPR certification. The Red Cross offers First Aid classes. The Angeles Chapter also schedules free classes annually for potential and current leaders through the Leadership Training Committee.
- Attend an Angeles Chapter Sierra Club leader training. A one-day leadership training workshop is held twice a year (spring and fall). The Leadership Training Committee has details posted on their website.
- Complete 3 online courses – ICO OLT-101, ICO OLT Self Assessment and CARP (Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention) NOTE: If you are a teacher or medical personnel you may already be designated as a Mandated Reporter for CARP.
- Lead a provisional hike. You simply plan a hike with an experienced certified ICO leader along to evaluate you. NOTE: the Provisional Leader outing must be announced in the ICO Take a Hike list before the outing takes place.
- Because ICO leaders work with children, a few extra steps are required to ensure the safety of our trip participants. You will be asked for three references and a background check.. For details, please contact Nancy Le at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receive Sierra Club Leadership Training Committee and Safety Committee approvals. NOTE: these are Angeles Chapter level groups, not ICO.
- Receive ICO Chair and Vice Chair approval.
Please download these documents:
- Welcome to Angeles ICO [Word doc: 35KB]
- Authorization for background check [Word doc: 31KB]
- Leader Certification Checklist [PDF: 75KB]
- Leader’s Reference Book
Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention (CARP) Curriculum, Self Assessment, and Answer Key: